Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in an Australian Dairy Cookbook, and these make delcious little cupcakes, with a wonderful cream cheese frosting. I think this recipe could easily be made into a larger cake if preferred.
- 125 g unsalted butter, softened
- 177.44 ml caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 295.73 ml plain flour
- 2.46 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 59.14 ml cocoa powder, sifted
- 118.29 ml milk
- 29.58 ml red food coloring
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 250 g cream cheese, softened
- 60 g butter, softened
- 236.59 ml icing sugar, sifted
- 22.18 ml lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Beat the butter and sugar for 5 minutes until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Add remaining cupcake ingredients and beat for 1 minute until mixture is smooth and even in colour.
- Two thirds fill 12 x paper lined muffin pans with the mixture and bake at 180C for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from pans and cool completely on a cake rack before decorating.
- For icing: Beat the cream cheese and butter until light and creamy. Add the icing sugar and lemon juice and beat well until completely smooth.
- To decorate cupcakes: Cut a small sliver off the top of each cupcake and reserve. Spoon the icing into a thick snaplock bag, snip off the corner and pipe icing in thick swirls onto cooled cupcakes. Crumble the reserved cupcake over the icing.
A quick and easy cupcake to make with a lovely cream cheese frosting. I wasn't sure about the red food colouring....but the cakes turned out just lovely. Chocolate cupcakes with a deep red tone. Enjoyed by my family. Photos also posted. Made for Make My Recipe Tag Game in the Aus/NZ Forum.