1/3 Photos of Saffron Tomato Relish
2 hrs 10 mins
I love this stuff and buy jars and jars of it. It's expensive, so I was excited to find it in a new cookbook my DIL had been given recently. In her blurb on the recipe, Maggie suggests it would be great over couscous, on top of grilled poultry or fish, on crackers and cheese, and we especially love it with cold meats and on sandwiches. Tomatoes are easy to skin if you cut a shallow cross in their bottoms, place them in a bowl and pour boiling water over. Count to 30 then drain the water off them. Leave to cool for a few minutes. You should now be able to peel them from the cross.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place sugar and verjuice in a stainless steel saucepan and stir over a low heat until sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil over high heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until reduced and syrupy. Remove from the heat, add the saffron threads and leave to infuse for 5 minutes.
- 2Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, then add the onion and garlic and cook for ten minutes or until softened. Add the tomatoes, verjuice, saffron syrup and cook over low heat for 1 1/2 -2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the syrup has reduced and thickened. Season with the salt and pepper.
- 3Immediately transfer to a sterilised 500ml jar and seal, then turn upside down to ensure lid is sterislised by the hot mixture. You might like to can this in a hot water bath, but I won't be doing that, so I can't advise how it's done.
- 4Relish will keep in the refrigerator for a few months once opened or unopened in a cool place for up to a year.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saffron Tomato Relish
Serving Size: 1 (887 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.6
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2342.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 85.2 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: