A variant on a recipe I found in a magazine. I was a little disappointed in the original version because the time spent versus the end result wasn't worth it. I think this was nicer and much, much quicker - so try and see if you agree ;-).
- Evenly spread saffron threads at the bottom of a small glass and top with 1 teaspoon of water.
- Place into a microwave oven towards the edge of the carousel with 200ml of water in a large glass at the opposite edge.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- WARNING - the water may be superheated - allow to rest 5 minutes before touching either glass.
- Remove the small glass and transfer the saffron / remaining liquid to a small mixing bowl (or for a single serve just leave in the glass).
- Mix through sour cream, lime juice and chopped chives mixing well and place in refrigerator while salmon cooks.
- Rub olive oil over the salmon and sprinkle with pepper.
- Cooking using your preferred techique, I grilled them on a BBQ plate over medium heat for about 7 minutes a side.
- Spread (it is quite thick) mixture over the salmon and serve with your favourite salads and side-dishes.