This wonderful salmon dish with its sweet and tangy sauce and lively fresh salad is suitable for special occasions. From a recipe by Bill Granger, one of Australia's top chefs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 salmon fillets, each 3/4-inch - 1-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 lime, quartered
For Spicy Green Salad
- 2 large fresh red chilies, seeded and finely sliced, diagonally
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 18 fresh mint leaves
- 4 french shallots, finely sliced
- 25 snow peas, blanched and finely sliced (mangetout)
- 3 fresh kaffir lime leaves, sliced very finely
For Sweet and Sour Dressing
- 1To prepare the salad, toss the chillies, cilantro leaves, mint leaves, shallots, snow peas and sliced lime leaves together in a bowl, then set aside.
- 2To prepare the dressing, stir the brown and white sugars with 5 tablespoons water in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat, until the sugars have dissolved. Increase heat to medium, and continue to cook until lightly golden. Remove from heat, add the fish sauce and lime juice (be careful, it will splatter), and stir to combine.
- 3To cook the fish, firstly mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Add the fish and coat well.
- 4Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed (preferably nonstick) sauté pan just large enough to hold the salmon; it will be the right temperature when the oil forms ripples and barely begins to smoke.
- 5For inch-thick fillets, sauté over high heat for 3 to 5 minutes on the first side, then turn with a spatula and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes on the second side, depending on how you like your salmon done; saute the salmon more on the first side (the presentation side) than the second, so that you end up with a savory golden crust or crisp skin.
- 6Serve the fish topped with the spicy green salad. Spoon over the sweet and sour dressing, and serve with lime quarters.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salmon With Sweet Sour Dressing and Spicy Green Salad
Serving Size: 1 (506 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 723.2
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 165.3 mg
- Sodium 2546.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 35.7 g
- Protein 68.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves