Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Delicious, pretty simple and pretty enough to give as a gift! When boiling the caramel, try setting the timer to make sure you don't take the pan off the heat too soon. Time to prepare doesn't include one hour setting time for the caramel/chocolate.
- Line an 18x27cm (7x11inch) rectangular cake tin with non-stick baking paper. Heat the oven to 180c.
- Place the butter and sugar for the shortbread into a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until fluffy and light. Next, beat in the flour until it forms a soft dough. Press the mixture evenly into your cake tin and bake for 220-25 minutes until pale golden.
- Place the caramel ingredients into a large saucepan over a medium heat. Stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved, then turn the heat up and boil for 5-7 minutes, stirring all the time to ensure the mixture doesn't burn.
- The caramel is ready when it turns a deep golden colour and has thickened to a soft fudge consistency. Stir in a teaspoon of salt (trust me!) and then pour the caramel over the shortbread and leave to set for about an hour.
- Put the chocolate in a bowl on top of a small saucepan of simmering water and stir until melted. Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel, and leave in a cool place to set. Once set, cut into squares and serve, or keep in a tin for up to 1 week.