I used to make these pasties to sell at the local market, and they were one of my top sellers!. They are also my hubby's favourite!
- 6 sheets puff pastry
- 6 sheets shortcrust pastry
- 500 g ground beef
- 500 g ground sausage
- 2 cups potatoes, grated
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables or 1⁄2 cup frozen baby peas and 1/2 cup frozen corn kernel
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- milk, for brushing
- Combine meats, vegetables, and pepper in a large bowl. Use your hands to really mix it well.
- Cut each sheet of pastry into 4 squares, and brush edges lightly with milk.
- Place 1 dessert spoonfull of mixture onto each square, and fold pastry in half, corner ways.
- Press edges together and roll edges in, to seal.
- Brush each pastie with milk, and bake at 200C for 20 minutes, or until patry is golden and flaky.
- These freeze great, and defrost quickly in the oven or microwave for a quick lunch or dinner.