Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love making this. It's such a nice winter meal, and it's so easy and quick, and best of all..so economical!! Growing up, Mum made shepherds pie almost weekly. Over the years I have altered it, and this is the way my family enjoys it now. We don't serve this with anything, except maybe a nice bread roll.
- 500 g ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons gravy mix
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 6 potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, grated
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Cook onions untiil tender, add beef and carrots.
- Stir in gravy powder, garlic, pepper, and herbs.
- Add enough water to just cover the meat mixture, stir, cover, and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
- Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain, and mashe with butter and milk.
- Using electric beaters, beat eggs into potato until creamy.
- Pour the meat mixture into a casserole dish.
- Top with mashed potatoes. You can spoon the potatoes on, or if you want a nicer presentation and you have the time, pipe on with a piping bag.
- Top with grated cheese, and bake at 180C for around 30 minutes, or until cheese has melted and just started to brown.
My whole family loved this. My son who does not like meat had 3rds. It was great, and I will for sure be making this again! Thanks for the recipe.
This was a very nice shepherds pie. It is different from the one I usually make. We enjoyed this very much. It was quick and easy to make. A real comfort food. I love the addition of the cheese. It had a very nice flavor and was rich and creamy. My dh absolutely loved it...he had the rest for lunch today and wouldn't share.... thanks for posting.
My husband loved this more than any Shepherds Pie I have ever made. Next time I will add a layer of corn, since that's the way my mother made it. I will be making this one again and again. Thank you