I love making this. It's such a nice winter meal, and it's so easy and quick, and best of all..so economical!! Growing up, Mum made shepherds pie almost weekly. Over the years I have altered it, and this is the way my family enjoys it now. We don't serve this with anything, except maybe a nice bread roll.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Cook onions untiil tender, add beef and carrots.
- Stir in gravy powder, garlic, pepper, and herbs.
- Add enough water to just cover the meat mixture, stir, cover, and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
- Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain, and mashe with butter and milk.
- Using electric beaters, beat eggs into potato until creamy.
- Pour the meat mixture into a casserole dish.
- Top with mashed potatoes. You can spoon the potatoes on, or if you want a nicer presentation and you have the time, pipe on with a piping bag.
- Top with grated cheese, and bake at 180C for around 30 minutes, or until cheese has melted and just started to brown.