Prep 10 mins
Cook 48 hrs
Very easy, do ahead kind of meal. you can bake a few vegetables while its' cooking.It's a great family meal, but for adults only you can add garlic or chillies.
- Put your rump steak in one layer, in a baking tray or casserole dish. Choose one that the meat "just" fits in, without overlapping.
- Sprinkle over salt and pepper, thinly sliced onion, sliced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Sprinkle over plain flour, and cover the meat with cold water. The amount depends on the size of your pan, but the meat and flour should be covered.
- cover with lid or alfoil, I use a cookie tray :).
- Put in a very slow oven and leave for about 2 hours.The flour should have turned into the best gravy by then, if, after an hour, there are still bits of flour showing, give them a little whisk with a fork.
- When cooked, the meat will be good, but the gravy will be sensational!
- Serve with mashed potatoes and greens.
mumma this a fine any night steak. I really enjoyed this as my life is a bit hectic right now and needed to make DH something substantial after 1 week of no eating (dentist) He enjoyed this very much and said make again anytime. Normally he is a steak on the plate no "stuff" but the gravy was great so he was good with it. I make boiled baby taters and put yummy gravy in a bowl to drizzle over them. Served with fresh salad greens and asparagus. Will make this again. I did the cookie sheet trick as you did and found this so much easier than foil to be able to get in a stir. Used a 225 degree oven for 2 1/4 hrs. I can see this a crock pot meal in the winter or hot dog days of summer when you want the kitchen cool. Thank you for a great meal. PS- leftover the next day were even better!!!! Sliced steak super thin, put on homemade italian bread rolls, dripped on gravy and wala a 2nd meal with watermelon, cantaloupe and asparagus raw.
Great. Quick and easy as well as being very very tasty. Served with mashed potatoes and brocolli. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap August 2012. Sorry no photo. Didn't look that photogenic when served, but this was surely made up for with the taste.
Nice meal without a lot of fuss and the meat turned out nice and tender. DH said he could make a whole meal out of the onion gravy. Made as written using cube steak. Thanks for the post.