Cook1 hr 10 mins
This recipe was in an old Kelloggs cookbook I picked up from a thrift shop. I thought it quite strange as it called for sultana bran in the main casserole. Admittedly I left out the sultana bran when I made this but instead added some cooked pasta to make a great one dish meal full of veggies.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8 sausages, pricked
- 60 g butter or 60 g margarine
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sultana natural bran
- salt & pepper
- 3⁄4 cup shredded tasty cheese
- 1⁄2 cup corn flake crumbs
- 1 slice bacon, diced
- Heat oil & brown sausages, remove from pan & slice thickly & place in a casserole dish.
- Melt butter & saute onion & garlic until tender, add tomato paste, cabbage, tomatoes & zucchini and cook for a few minutes.
- Blend all remaining ingredients, bring to the boil & pour over sausages.
- Bake covered in a moderate (180.C) oven for approx 1 hour.
- Combine topping ingredients & sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake for a further 5-10 mins uncovered.
Very tasty recipe. I caution those watching fat/sodium/sugar intake though. Even though the bran helps with the fibre, it is very high in the the others also. It could be made more healthly by using chicken/turkey sausages, sub olive oil for butter & salt-reduced chicken broth for water/cubes. Topping can be sub'd also. I found it very salty so I will also cut the salt out on the next try. Nice variation to normal cabbage recipes, thanks for sharing.
This is a really delicious casserole, and was so easy & quick to put together. I loved the fact that it had several veggies in it, but I also could not find sultana bran (or any bran, for that matter). I used some bulgur wheat I had and it turned out good, but I think Mandy's substitution of pasta was a much better choice, so I'll be using that next time. We especially loved the topping -- so yummy and crunchy. Thanks for sharing this recipe!