1/3 Photos of Sausage Rolls the Australian Way
For ZWT 16, I was searching for recipes to add to our repetoire and came across this recipe that looks delicious and easy to make. (Australian, New Zealand sausage-stuffed puff pastry) Popular in New Zealand and Australia, sausage rolls are eaten for breakfast, lunch or as appetizers at parties and get-togethers. Served hot or cold, they are often sold at small food stores called "tuck shops" as a quick meal. adopted from What's for eats CHecked ths site for the quantity of pork sausage required
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11.Preheat oven to 425°F In a large bowl, mix together the sausage, onion, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and milk or cream.
- 22.Unfold the puff pastry onto a lightly floured work surface. Cut each sheet in two lengthwise to make four long rectangles. Form a log of sausage down the center of each puff pastry sheet, leaving a 1-inch edge. Starting from a long edge, roll the puff pastry up and over the sausage, brushing the edge with the beaten egg to seal. Pinch the ends closed.
- 33.Cut each roll into quarters. Place the rolls seam-side down on a parchment or wax paper-lined baking sheet and brush the tops with the egg wash.
- 44.Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F, and bake for another 30 to 35 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden and the sausage is cooked through.
- 55.Let cool for a few minutes, then serve with ketchup.
- 7•Add extra flavorings to your sausage mix as you like: chopped parsley, thyme, curry powder, crumbled sage, garlic powder, paprika.
- 8•Appetizer Portions: Cut each rolled up puff pastry log into 8 portions instead of 4 to make appetizer-sized sausage rolls. Adjust down the cooking time to allow for the smaller size.
- 9•Sprinkle the rolls with sesame seeds or paprika before baking.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Rolls the Australian Way
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1506.3
- Calories from Fat 879
- Total Fat 97.7 g
- Saturated Fat 30.7 g
- Cholesterol 263.8 mg
- Sodium 703.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 73.6 g