Adapted from Saveur magazine(issue #122), filled with great ingredientts! A meal in itself! :)
Make and share this Saveur's Aussie Burger recipe from Food.com.
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 slices yellow onions, 1/4-inch thick
- 2 canned pineapple rings
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 slices aged white cheddar cheese (or yellow cheddar)
- 2 eggs
- 2 hamburger buns, toasted
- 2 leaves lettuce, preferably bibb
- 4 slices canned pickled beets
- 2 slices beefsteak tomatoes
- In a bowl, combine beef, chile flakes, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Form beef into two 1" thick patties and transfer to a plate. Heat butter in an 8" nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion slices and cook, flipping occasionally, until browned (but not falling apart), 8–10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; set onions aside.
- Prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire or heat a gas grill to medium-high (or heat a tablespoon of canola oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat).
- Brush pineapple with 2 tablespoons oil; grill, flipping once, until lightly browned. Transfer pineapple to a plate and set aside.
- Grill burgers, flipping once, until cooked to desired doneness, about 10 minutes total for medium rare. During the last minute of cooking, top burgers with cheese; let melt. Move burgers to a plate.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a 10" nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs; cook, covered, until yolks are just set, about 4 minutes. To bottom half of each bun, add lettuce, beets, tomato, onion slice, pineapple, and a burger. Top each with an egg; add top half of bun. Add the condiments you like and enjoy!