Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A tasty savory mince casserole that will warm you through in winter. It's not a heavy meal either which is a bonus. I always check the casserole and taste the sauce about half way through cooking just in case you need to add more water, stock or whatever you fancy. Where I have put pasta sauce in the ingredients, I mean ready made tomato based sauce like Paul Newman or Raguletto. I generally use a third of a jar.
- 400 g mincemeat (I use lean mince)
- 1 large onion (sliced and diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 large carrot (sliced)
- 1 cup peas
- 4 potatoes (halfed or quartered depending on size)
- 150 -160 g pasta sauce
- 2 teaspoons chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Par boil potatoes till semi-soft (but not too soft.
- In a large frying pan, fry the onion, garlic and carrot.
- Add mince and brown.
- Add herbs, tomato sauce, stock and water and stir through until well mixed.
- Transfer to casserole dish.
- Add frozen peas and par-cooked potato's.
- Bake in oven at 180 degrees celcius for one hour.
- Check half way through cooking and add some water if need be.