1/2 Photos of Silverbeet (Swiss Chard ) Pie Aka " Grass Pie"
A great pie to add silverbeet to your diet. Even my children enjoy this open pie. You can use pre-made pie crusts or frozen shortcrust pastry sheets as the pie shell. It even turns out OK without a pie shell at all! I've made this pie gluten-free by using ChristinaCeline's Pastry Recipe for Pie Crust - Gluten Free as the pie crust and you dot need to grease the pie dish or cook the pastry shell before filling. I use light ricotta cheese and light cheddar in my pie to reduce the fat content- you can use the full versions if you wish. You can also add in some cooked diced bacon or ham pieces with the silverbeet if desired or add in some sliced chillies if you like some heat in your pie. My youngest daughter has now renamed this pie " Grass Pie" :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 prepared pie crust (9 inch or 23 cm pastry shell)
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced (or crushed)
- 1 leek, sliced and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch silver beet
- 4 large eggs or 5 smaller eggs, whisked lightly
- 1 cup smooth style light ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded light cheddar cheese or 1/2 cup grated light tasty cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 large tomato, sliced into rounds
- 1Heat oven to 400°F ( 200°C ) 15 to 20 degrees less if using a fan-forced oven.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frypan and add the garlic and chopped leek. Cook on a gentle to medium heat until the leek has softened. Set aside to cool.
- 3Remove the course stems from the silverbeet and just use the green leaves. Chop them roughly and add the whole bunch to a large saucepan. Add 1 cup of water. Cook over a medium heat with the lid on until the spinach has steamed and wilted down. Do not overcook the spinach- it should only take a few minutes to this point.
- 4When the silverbeet has wilted - strain it as much as possible and place on a clean tea-towel. Wrap the silverbeet in a clean tea-towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Chop the silverbeet finer if desired and add it to a large mixing bowl.
- 5Add the cooked leek mixture, eggs, cheeses, salt and pepper to the silverbeet. Mix and pour into the pie shell.
- 6Decorate with the sliced tomato and sprinkle over some more cracked black pepper and salt.
- 7Bake in the oven approx 40 minutes or until set through. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve with a salad or more veggies on the side.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Silverbeet (Swiss Chard ) Pie Aka " Grass Pie"
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.0
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 104.2 mg
- Sodium 390.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: