Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I was introduced to this simply divine and easy cake by a lady named Margaret at a health spa. Its healthy and even those watching what they eat love this one. I have given up keeping count the number of times I have been asked for the recipe once someone has tried a piece of this cake.
- 750 g mixed fruit (chopped)
- 2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons liquor or 2 -3 tablespoons Cointreau liqueur or 2 -3 tablespoons brandy (optional)
- 2 cups self raising flour (if using plain / all purpose flour, add 1.5 teaspoons baking powder)
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (ground)
- Soak mixed fruit in orange juice (and liquor if desired), minimum 1 hour, but can be left overnight in fridge.
- Stir in sifted flour and mixed spice, then pour mix into paper lined 20cm (8in) square cake tin.
- Cook in oven at 160degrees (celcius) for 40mins, let sit to cool slightly in tin before turning out onto cake rack.
- Enjoy, goes wonderfully well with a cup of tea or coffee for a mid-morning or afteroon snack.
This was very good. A good starter recipe. Can't wait to put my own twist on it. If you like sweet....you'll love it.
We love this! I was curious when I read the scanty list of ingredients but decided to try half the recipe. Surprise!! Cake was `rich´ enough for us despite being dairy-free! I used orange juice concentrate and lots more brandy than called for :) and soaked the fruits for 2 days in the fridge. I did not have mixed spice, so sub with a mix of ground ginger, cinnamom, cloves, nutmeg, and crushed promegranate peel. Loved the smell when it was baking. Mine took exactly 40 minutes in a loaf pan. Thank you for such a healthy treat!