Cook1 hr 40 mins
From a fantastic site I stumbled upon the other day. I'm posting the original recipe but I made it slightly differently-same amount of sauce, but only enough meat and sweet potato for the two of us as we love tons of sauce over our rice.
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 600 g beef blade steak, fat trimmed, cut in 3cm cubes
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 400 g chopped tomatoes, no added salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional) or 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)
- 750 g sweet potatoes (I prefer the orange one)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°C Heat a large flameproof ovenproof pan over a high heat, spray with oil. Add beef in batches. Cook until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Return pan to a medium-high heat. Spray with oil. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and curry paste. Cook for 1 minute. Return beef to pan. Add tomatoes and water and fish sauce or soy sauce if using. Stir to combine and bring to the boil. Cover and place in oven for 1 hour.
- Add sweet potato, stir, and return to oven for 30 minutes. Remove and stir through sugar. I garnished with a little chopped fresh coriander and basil but it wasn't in the recipe.
- Serve with rice and vegetables.