A whole piece of beef is slow cooked then sliced and served over pasta
Make and share this Slow Cooked Beef in Pasta Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 kg beef (topside, bolar, round steak are good)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800 g crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon italian mixed herbs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mixed spice, similar to pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- cooked pasta, to serve
- Trim excess fat from beef and season with black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and cook the onion and garlic until tender-about 5 minutes. Remove.
- Add the beef to the pan. Turn, browning well all over.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the pasta) and stir to combine. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 2 1/2 hours then remove meat to a warmed covered plate.
- Increase heat under sauce and cook without a lid for 15 minutes or until reduced to a sauce consistency. Season with more black pepper if you wish.
- Slice the meat and return to the sauce; serve over genrous portions of cooked pasta.