Cook2 hrs 30 mins
I spent an day looking after a family members home while workmen were there to install a new security entranceway (they are away on holiday) so to keep me busy I decided to go through their cookbooks looking for some recipes to post on 'zaar.
- 1 1⁄2 kg chuck steaks, cut into 2cm chunks
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 500 ml red wine
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200 g french shallots, peeled
- 150 g bacon, rind removed and cut into batons
- 250 g mushrooms, trimmed
- 3 teaspoons cornflour
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Place steak, garlic, celery and wine in a large bowl, cover and set aside in the fridge to marinate for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Place beef and marinade and tomatoes in a large ovenproof dish, cover and place in oven for 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Add bacon and mushrooms and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
- Mix cornflour mixture and stir until well combined. Return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove season with salt and pepper and stir through the parsley.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and a green salad.
- Allow casserole to cool, then place in plastic containers, cover and freeze until needed. To serve remove casserole from freezer and allow to thaw in fridge. Place in saucepan and heat gently until warmed through.
I had to rush it a little bit and only marinated it for about 2 hours. I used 3 tbs of cornstarch, but probably should have used more - we were just getting hungry!
My family enjoyed this dinner.It was a meal that you do need to plan ahead for. I marinated the meat for 24 hours. I dont eat red meat- my husband said it was so tender and helped himself to a huge second serve. I had 1.2 kilos of beef and kept the remaining ingredients as stated. I did need to double the amount of cornflour. This dish made a very rich gravy. I'd like to give this recipe a try in the crockpot next time. Photo also to be posted
My husband and I really loved this recipe. Takes a long time but it is really not a hard one to make. Very tasty and we will have it again.