1/1 Photo of Slow Cooked Beef in Red Wine
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
I spent an day looking after a family members home while workmen were there to install a new security entranceway (they are away on holiday) so to keep me busy I decided to go through their cookbooks looking for some recipes to post on 'zaar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 kg chuck steaks, cut into 2cm chunks
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 500 ml red wine
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200 g french shallots, peeled
- 150 g bacon, rind removed and cut into batons
- 250 g mushrooms, trimmed
- 3 teaspoons cornflour
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Place steak, garlic, celery and wine in a large bowl, cover and set aside in the fridge to marinate for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- 2Preheat oven to 160°C.
- 3Place beef and marinade and tomatoes in a large ovenproof dish, cover and place in oven for 2 hours.
- 4Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until golden.
- 5Add bacon and mushrooms and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
- 6Mix cornflour mixture and stir until well combined. Return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- 7Remove season with salt and pepper and stir through the parsley.
- 8Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and a green salad.
- 10Allow casserole to cool, then place in plastic containers, cover and freeze until needed. To serve remove casserole from freezer and allow to thaw in fridge. Place in saucepan and heat gently until warmed through.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooked Beef in Red Wine
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.9
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 232.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: