1/2 Photos of Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks Australian Style
3 hrs 15 mins
I love this recipe because I can make it the day before, it uses traditional and easy to grow herbs fresh from the garden and the vegetables are not exotic. Everyone seems to have their own version of this dish, but I think mine is special. I make for Sunday when we have neighbours round for a bottle ( or two) of wine and a casual lunch, so I can cook it slowly the day before and reheat it on the day. Because of slow cooking the vegetables melt and create a wonderful sauce. The meat falls off the bones. Keep it topped up with liquid while slow cooking. A real favourite on a winters day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 meaty lean lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 red onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced in rings
- 3 parsnips, sliced in rings
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 6 -8 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup mint leaf
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 liter stock or 1 liter water
- 500 ml red wine, to taste
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons mild paprika
- 1Sweat the onions in oil an ovenproof casserole or crockpot.
- 2Add carrot, parsnip, celery and mix.
- 3Put flour, pepper, paprika in a paper or plastic bag and add lamb shanks one at a time, shake to coat.
- 4Place the coated shanks in the casserole or pot on top of the vegetables.
- 5Combine stock and wine and pour around the shanks covering them completely.
- 6Place Rosemary, Bay and Mint on top of the meat.
- 7Cook slowly in the oven for at least 3 hours at a temperature of about 160C the longer the better.
- 8Top up with stock or wine if necessary.
- 9To serve, remove the herbs and discard; serve on a plate with mashed potato and a good bottle of wine.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks Australian Style
Serving Size: 1 (467 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 756.2
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 242.1 mg
- Sodium 218.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 72.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: