A magazine find that I plan to try soon. Our lamb shanks vary a lot in size, so you may need to serve 2 sometimes.
- Preheat oven to moderately slow (160c).
- Toss lamb shanks in seasoned flour, heat oil in a large saucepan and brown shanks in batches for 4-5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Saute onion, carrot, celery and chili in same pan for 4-5 minutes until onion is tender. Stir through lentils, tomatoes water, wine and vinegar and bring to the boil.
- Place the lamb and sauce mixture into a large oven proof casserole dish; bake covered, stirring a couple of times for 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover and cook a further hour or until meat is almost falling off the bone.
- Stir parsley through and serve over mashed potatoes with green vegetables if desired.