1/4 Photos of Slow Cooker Shanks
8 hrs 15 mins
(Adapted from New Trim Lamb Shanks in Gabriel Gate's Guide to Everyday Cooking, Allen and Unwin, $35.) Recipe taken from The Age newspaper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (optional)
- 4 new trim lamb shanks, sometimes called frenched lamb shanks
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 4 medium roma tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1In a small bowl, mix half the oil with the tomato paste, cumin and chilli paste.
- 2Brush or rub the meat with this paste.
- 3On the stove top, heat the remaining oil in a large pan and brown the meat for a few minutes.
- 4Add the thyme, wine, stock, tomato and garlic, and season with a little salt and pepper.
- 5Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker.
- 6Allow to simmer for 8-10 hours on low, or 4-6 hours on high, until the mixture falls away from the bone.
- 7Do not lift the lid during cooking.
- 8Just before serving, stir in the chopped parsley and serve with mashed potato and a green salad.
- 9(Alternatively, sprinkle with home-made gremolata before serving.).
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (452 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 697.2
- Calories from Fat 366
- Total Fat 40.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 242.1 mg
- Sodium 526.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 72.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: