bluemoon downunder's Note:
I love mushrooms: could eat them every day! And love this recipe, adapted from one by Nino Zoccali, that I found in the September 2009 issue of the 'BBC Australian Good Food' magazine. Nino comments that he never peels the skins from mushroom caps "unless they are damaged or stained and (that) unlike many chefs (that he likes) to use the mushroom stems - as long as they're tender." Ah, great, I thought, before trying this recipe! Perhaps it's uncool, but I only peel mushrooms if the recipe persuades me of the need to do this, and I generally use the stems. As Nino says "I think they taste great." Some conversions: 15 grams = 1/2 ounce; 60 grams = 2 ounces; 80 grams = aproximately 3 ounces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 medium swiss brown mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small brown onions (for Australians) or 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (for Americans)
- 1 -3 garlic clove, minced, depending on how much you like garlic
- dried sage, a sprinkling, to taste (optional)
- dried rosemary, a sprinkling, to taste (optional)
- 1/4 cup coarse wholemeal breadcrumbs (15 grams)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (60 grams)
- 1 cup pecorino cheese, grated (80 grams)
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 sprig thyme, leaves only
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°-375°F/4-5 gas mark.
- 2Remove stems from mushrooms and finely dice the stems; heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat; cook the diced stems and onion and roseemary and sage if using for 4 minutes, until softened, add the minced garlic and cook for another minute; transfer to a medium bowl to cool.
- 3Stir in the breadcrumbs, walnuts and half of the pecorino; season with salt and pepper, to taste; spoon the onion/breadcrumb mixture into the mushroom caps.
- 4Fit the mushroom caps into a baking pan and scatter with the remaining pecorino; bake for 25 minutes or until golden; scatter with the thyme sprigs and serve.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Roasted Stuffed Swiss Brown Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 190.4
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 50.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
swiss brown mushrooms