Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this very yummy soup whilst looking for recipes to use smoked paprika. I haven't been able to buy it here in town, so I'm pretty excited. The original recipe has more chillies if you wish.Prep time includes blackening, sweating and peeling those peppers! This would be a good vegetarian recipe made with veggie stock, or even vegan if you omit the cream too.
- 8 fleshy red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 red chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock (for a vegetarian version)
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 -5 sprigs parsley
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, extra
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup light cream (optional)
- Peppers:, halved brushed with olive oil, baked in a very hot oven until the skin blisters and blackens.
- Place in a plastic bag 10 minutes, then remove blackened skin, and chop coarsely.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook the onions, garlic and chillies until soft, but not brown.
- Add the paprika and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the peppers, stock, potatoes, parsley, thyme sprigs and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove the herb sprigs.
- Puree in a food processor until smooth adding the thyme, vinegar and cream (if you're using it) just before you finish.
- Serve hot with garlic bread, or cold garnished with guacomale.