Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
I found this very yummy soup whilst looking for recipes to use smoked paprika. I haven't been able to buy it here in town, so I'm pretty excited. The original recipe has more chillies if you wish.Prep time includes blackening, sweating and peeling those peppers! This would be a good vegetarian recipe made with veggie stock, or even vegan if you omit the cream too.
- 8 fleshy red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 red chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock (for a vegetarian version)
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 -5 sprigs parsley
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, extra
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup light cream (optional)
- Peppers:, halved brushed with olive oil, baked in a very hot oven until the skin blisters and blackens.
- Place in a plastic bag 10 minutes, then remove blackened skin, and chop coarsely.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook the onions, garlic and chillies until soft, but not brown.
- Add the paprika and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the peppers, stock, potatoes, parsley, thyme sprigs and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove the herb sprigs.
- Puree in a food processor until smooth adding the thyme, vinegar and cream (if you're using it) just before you finish.
- Serve hot with garlic bread, or cold garnished with guacomale.
I liked this soup better the day after making it, and the more I eat it, the more I like it. It is very unusual. I did add salt as well as veggie bouillon powder and I think it needed both. The color is beautiful. I found red bells on sale, otherwise I would never have tried this recipe since they're usually very pricey. If you have red bells growing in your garden, definitely give this a try. And the smoked paprika is a must. If you don't have it, don't bother. You can order it on line and it's so good in so many dishes.
Jan this is sooooo good! A little bit of prep work, but definitely worth the effort! I did not change anything. A keeper in my cookbook! I was proud to serve this to my guests, it received rave reviews!!!