1/3 Photos of Smothered Oxtails over Spinach and Sweet Corn Mash
2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Mama's Kitchen (Hope)'s Note:
The meat on an oxtail is prized for the amount of flavor it contains. This is one of dh's favorite dishes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 oxtails, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 pounds)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- spice essence
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 quarts veal stock
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 lbs small red potatoes, quartered
- 1/4 lb unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2-3/4 cup heavy cream, to your taste
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 medium-size ears)
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed and tough stems removed
- 1Season the oxtails with salt and pepper. Put the flour in a shallow bowl and season with Essence. Dredge the oxtails in the flour, coating each side evenly and tapping off any excess.
- 2Heat 1/2 cup of the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oxtails and cook until very brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the oxtails to a platter and set side.
- 3Add the onions to the pot, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and celery, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons of the garlic, the bay leaves, and thyme and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and deglaze, scraping the bottom and sides to loosen any browned particles. Add the stock, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Return the oxtails to the pot and cook, covered, until the sauce is stewlike and the meat starts to fall off the bone, about 2 hours. Baste the oxtails often during the cooking time. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed. Stir in the parsley.
- 4Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Season the water with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Return the potatoes to the pan over low heat and stir the potatoes for 1 minute to dry them. Add the butter and heavy cream, season with salt and pepper, and mash the potatoes until slightly smooth. Set aside and keep warm.
- 5Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium-size sauté pan over medium heat. Add the corn, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the spinach and the remaining 1 tablespoon garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook for another minute. Fold into the mashed potatoes and keep warm.
- 6To serve, mound the mashed potato mixture in the center of each serving plate. Lay a few of the oxtails on top of the potatoes and spoon some of the gravy over the top.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered Oxtails over Spinach and Sweet Corn Mash
Serving Size: 1 (648 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1014.0
- Calories from Fat 596
- Total Fat 66.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.9 g
- Cholesterol 101.7 mg
- Sodium 146.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: