Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Versatile cake using grated fruit or vegetable. Great for morning tea or that picnic basket. Keeps well, is moist and delicious. The original recipe is taken from The Australian Women's Weekly Favourites Collection but has been expanded to allow for variations.
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 3 cups dried fruit (sultanas, chopped dried apricots, cranberries, dates, currants etc.)
- 2 cups raw carrots, grated
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon marmalade
- sift together the flours, carb soda and spice.
- add the grated beetroot, or carrot, or sweet potato.
- add the walnuts.
- mix all together.
- Beat together the eggs, sugar and vegetable oil and mix well with the dry ingredients.
- Add the jam and mix well.
- place into a well lined square tin or two log tins.
- Bake in a moderate oven at 175 deg C for 1hr 40 minutes.
- If the cake browns on top too quickly place a piece of foil over the pan to prevent burning.
- Remove from the oven and place the tin on a cooler for five minutes before turning out.
- When completely cold store in an airtight container.
- If desired you can substitute beetroot instead of carrot or use up two ripe bananas for an interesting flavour.
- Any jam can be substituted for marmalade.