Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the handwritten recipe book of Margaret E. Walker's grandmother. Brian Wilson states:"Soldiers Biscuit was one of the original names for these biscuits and was only changed to ANZAC sometime after the Gallipol landing. Therefore, you can date the Soldier's Biscuit recipe to somewhere most likely between 1914 and 1920 or so. The anzac recipe however, would be dated after 1927 as they didn't begin to include coconut until after this year."
- Preheat oven to 180° C (350° F).
- Combine oats, flour and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Melt butter and Golden Syrup (or honey) together over low heat.
- Mix baking soda with water and add to the butter mixture.
- Mix liquids with dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon dollops of mixture, about the size of a walnut shell, onto a greased tin, leaving as much space again between dollops to allow for spreading.
- Bake in a preheated, 180° C (350° F) oven for 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and seal in airtight containers.