1/2 Photos of Sour Cream and Chive Potato Pancakes
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Yummy pancakes which can be served for breakfast, brunch, as a snack or as a side-dish. Although the recipe specifies sebago potatoes, you can also use russet burbank or spunta potatoes. All of these are potatoes that are varieties which are good for baking. This recipe has been adapted from a recipe in the Australian Women's Weekly's 'Potatoes: over 100 exciting ways to cook the humble spud', recently reprinted by popular demand. It is essential to squeeze as much moisture as possible from the potatoes in step one before adding the potatoes to the other ingredients. Please feel free to vary the herbs according to your taste preferences.
My Private Note
Sour Cr ...
Units: US | Metric
- 900 g sebago potatoes, peeled (just under 32oz)
- 1 medium brown onions (150g) or 1 yellow onion, finely chopped (just under 5oz)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried sage, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream, low fat is fine (120g)
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (160ml)
- 80 g butter (just under 3oz)
- 1Grate the potatoes coarsely; squeeze the excess moisture from the potatoes; combine the potato in a large bowl with the onion, garlic, chives, rosemary, sage, salt and pepper to taste, egg yolks flour and sour cream.
- 2Beat the egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until firm peaks o the potato mixture.
- 3Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil with 20g of the butter in a non-stick pan; cook heaped tablespoons of the potato mixture, uncovered, until browned on both sides; drain the pancakes on absorbent kitchen paper and cover to keep warm; repeat with the same amounts of the remaining oil, butter and potato mixture.
- 4Notes: One Australian measuring cup holds approximately 250ml (8 fluid ounces), one Australian tablespoon holds 20ml and one Australian teaspoon holds 5ml. North America, New Zealand and the United Kingdom use a 15ml tablespoon. In this recipe, the addition of the rosemary and sage is really best guided by taste. I never measure herbs.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sour Cream and Chive Potato Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 510.1
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 107.4 mg
- Sodium 119.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 6.4 g