O.k..... so you have made meatbalss before!!!! BUT have you tried Aussie meatballs, using Kraft Vegemite? Go on .................these might suprise you! You can use Beef or Lamb mince for this recipe..... I prefer the Beef as I dont eat lamb. Serve over spaghetti with a sprinkling of Parmesan Cheese. I use fresh breadcrumbs and wholegrain breadcrumbs could also be also be used. ....ohh and dont forget the garlic bread!
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, finely crushed
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon vegemite
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 810 g crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste, salt reduced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped
- black pepper
- Mix together the beef, breadcrumbs, egg, spring onions, carrot, garlic and Vegemite until well combined. Roll mixture into 24 even sized balls.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, add meatballs and cook over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes until golden brown all over. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, oregano, thyme, parsley and pepper tp taste. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve over spaghetti with the parmesan sprinkled on top.