1/4 Photos of Spaghetti / Pasta Sauce
2 hrs 20 mins
This is the sauce I've been making for years. It doesn't make a huge quantity, but is easily doubled etc. I think it needs to be simmered for a long time to develop the flavour. I would serve this over any pasta or spaghetti shapes I have on hand and I also use this in my lasagnas. Feel free to add sautéed mushrooms, celery or a little grated carrot if you wish. I do sometimes, but find we like this simple recipe the best.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 500 g beef mince, leanest you can buy
- 2 tablespoons bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 (140 g) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (440 g) can chopped tomatoes, and their juice
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch mixed pumpkin spice or 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1Heat the oil in a large fry pan over a medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and bacon and cook until the onion is golden and tender.
- 3Add the minced garlic and cook a couple of minutes more.
- 4Add the mince and cook, breaking up with a fork, until the meat has all changed colour.
- 5Add the bell pepper and cook for a minute or two.
- 6Now add the tomato paste and"cook it out" for another minute or two before adding the wine.
- 7Allow the wine to reduce a little, before adding the remaining sauce ingredients.
- 8Simmer until reduced and a deep rich red/ brown.
- 9*You could call this "cooked" in 30 minutes, but I like to let it simmer about 2 hours, stirring regularly to make sure it's not catching.
- 10Add a little more broth or water if it looks like doing so.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti / Pasta Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (474 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 497.1
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 91.4 mg
- Sodium 848.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 26.3 g