A spanish inspired recipe by Karen Martini in her cookbook "cooking at home". Great served with drinks and can be stored for about a week in an airtight container. For a gluten-free diet ensure the spices used are gluten-free.
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 400 g large blanched almonds
- 3 large garlic cloves, bruised with the back of a knife
- 4 tablespoons sea salt, flakes
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 egg white, lightly whisked
- Preheat oven to 170°C Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Melt the butter and olive oil together, using a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the almonds and garlic. Stir constantly for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel. Discard the garlic and place the almonds in a large bowl.
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind the salt and coriander seeds to a powder. Add the sugar and spices. Mix well.
- Add the egg white to the spice mix. Add the almonds and toss well.
- Spread the almonds on the baking tray and toast in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove almonds from the oven and cool completely on the baking tray.
- Store the almonds in an airtight container for up to a week.