Butternut squash is a delicious nutty tasting vegetable. Roasting brings out it natural sweetness, which is nicely balanced with the spices. This dish is great with grilled fish or meat, or wonderful on its own with a spoonful of yogurt.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
- Peel the butternut squash, then halve it lengthways and scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Cube the flesh.
- Put the olive oil in a roasting tin and place in the oven.
- Place the cumin, chili, coriander and salt in a pestle and mortar and crush together lightly.
- Throw the spices into the hot oil, then add the butternut squash, tossing to coat the pieces in the spiced oil.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes, turning from time to time until tender and golden brown.