Made for Good Things Are Cooking Here!! (A non-cooking game) In the Australian/New Zealand Cooking Forum - http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=233992
Spiced Balsamic Reduction
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 star anise
- 1 garlic clove, lightly smashed
- 1 hot red chile, split
- 4 duck breasts, skin scored in diamonds
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 8 plums, canned
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock, boiling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Spiced Balsamic Vinegar:
- Combine vinegar, sugar, garlic, chilli and star anise in a small saucepan stir over low heat for 4 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced by one-third and slightly thickened. Remove the flavourings and discard. Set aside.
- Season the duck breasts well with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium high heat and place the duck breasts in skin-side down. Cook 6 minutes until crispy, then turn over and cook a further 4 or until done to your liking. It's normal to serve duck breast cooked medium to rare. Rest for 5 minutes before serving
- While the duck is resting, pour the boiling stock over the couscous and set aside covered for 5 minutes. Stir the butter through with a fork fluffing up well.
- Place the plums in the reduction and reheat gently.
- Slice duck breasts and serve them and the plums over couscous.