1 hr 5 mins
Aus Janet's Note:
A favourite in our house. Cob loaf filled with spicy mince mixture (to taste) and very easy to make. This was a recipe made from an old taco mince and chillie con carne recipes and modified to fit in with what we had in the cupboard. It worked out so well we have it often. We also use any leftover mince to make tacos, nachos or sandwiches. It is a cheap easy meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 crusty cobb loaf, any variety
- 1 kg beef mince (depends on how big your cob loaf is)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- 2 fresh white garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chile, fresh chopped (can be omitted)
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano (ground or dried)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce or 1 cup taco sauce or 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 (400 g) can canned red kidney beans, drained (optional)
- 1 cup tasty cheese
- 200 ml light sour cream
- 100 ml chili sauce
- 1Cook mince in large frypan with oil. Drain and put aside. (We remove mince from pan and put in colander then wash mince with hot water to remove all the fat but this is purely optional).
- 2Cook onions, capsicum and garlic until onions are soft. Add chilli and cook for 1 minute.
- 3Return mince to pan with chilli powder, coriander, cumin, pepper, paprika, oregano, and sauces.
- 4Simmer for about 10 minutes then add kidney beans.
- 5Let this cook on low heat for about 30 minutes. Make sure mixture is not too wet as it will soak through the bread.
- 6Prepare cob loaf by cutting off the top and removing soft inside bread leaving at least a 2 inch crust on bottom and sides. Try to keep inside together when removing as this makes good bread slices.
- 7Fill cob loaf with mince level with top. Place on flat oven tray.
- 8Cut top and inside bread into thick slices and place beside cob on tray.
- 9Place cheese on top of mince and bake in a moderate oven 180C for about 15 - 20 minutes or until cheese has melted and bread is lightly toasted. You may have to remove bread prior to cob if it is cooking too quickly.
- 10Cut with bread knife into quarters and serve on plate with sour cream and chilli sauce.
- 11Heat leftover cob in over to keep the bread crispy.
- 12You can modify this recipe to suit your tastes and needs. Any sort of mince can be used and you can add or subtract any number of vegetables. I also add a taco seasoning mix with spices if I have some leftover.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Mince Cob Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 954.5
- Calories from Fat 633
- Total Fat 70.3 g
- Saturated Fat 29.9 g
- Cholesterol 229.1 mg
- Sodium 1220.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 55.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
crusty cobb loaf