Tasty tomato salad with added spice. I'm not sure where I got this recipe from.
Make and share this Spicy Tomato Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 9 medium ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 2 long red chilies, halved lengthways, seeded, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 12 green onions, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 1 tablespoon crushed black pepper
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated gingerroot
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 80 ml olive oil
- 125 ml balsamic vinegar
- 60 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1⁄3 cup firm packed light brown sugar
- Place tomatoes, chillies and onions in a serving bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine pepper, seeds, ginger, garlic and spices.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat until it's almost smoking.
- Add spice mixture, stir vigorously for 2-3 minutes, then pour over tomato mixture and stir.
- Heat balsamic and red wine vinegars, salt and sugar in a pan over high heat until boiling, then immediately pour over tomato mixture.
- Mix well and cool to room temperature.
I too had extra dressing--but so delicious! Iused fresh picked tomatoes which were so sweet that they really contrasted beautifully with the dressing. I have now also used the extra dressing on fresh string beans--a second great salad from this lovely and unusual recipe. Thanks, Jewelies!
What a fantastically flavored salad! I did cut the dressing ingredients in half, and the tomatoes were perfectly flavored. Very nice served with Black Bean Soup. Made for ZWTIII
This was a very tasty salad. A little strong for our tastes but full of wonderful flavour. I think next time I'll cut the dressing ingrediants in half to keep the flavour but not be overwhelmed with it. I used regular mustard seeds because I couldn't find black ones up here. Also used roma tomatoes for their firmness and did not include the sugar. We'll definitely have this again.