Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
These make a really nice vegetarian starter (leave out the cheese and butter for a vegan) and are great finger food if you use about 18 smaller mushrooms. Add a couple of crispy, cooked, crumbled bacon slices too, if you wish.
- Cook the damp spinach in a large pan for about 2 minutes-or until it has wilted.
- Drain really well, and chop coarsely.
- Mix the crumbled feta through the spinach.
- Preheat the broiler to medium.
- Place the mushrooms gill side up on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Season and drizzle over a little oil.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and cook the onion until golden.
- Stir in the spinach mixture and season to taste.
- Spoon the mix into the mushroom cups, sprinkle with a little shredded Parmesan and grill until it's golden.
i made this recipe, with the bacon, and there wasn't a morsel left- i wouldn't change a thing. i made this for a dinner appetizer, but it would also be great as a party hors d'oerve
What great flavor with this combination. I took a huge liberty with the recipe - Although it is intended as a stuffed mushroom recipe (and it would be wonderful) I made it as a side dish - Just chopped the mushrooms and cooked it all together after browning the onions & mushrooms. Thanks for a delicious side dish - I will be making this again. 10 May 2010- Made again and served as a side dish - It is wonderful. This time I served it along side lamb stuffed peppers. Perfect. Hope you don't mind that I am using your recipe this way.
FANTASTIC as can be! Can you HEAR the OOMPA being Y-E-L-L-E-D by me? Really simple, elegant to do, DEFINATE keeper, PS They dissappear quickly, TRUE!