1/2 Photos of Squid Salad or Octopus Salad - Japanese Style
Chef floWer's Note:
You could either use squid or octopus for this salad, I have trouble finding octopus most times so I used squid. I normally buy my squid/octopus already cleaned and gutted. If your squid/octopus needs to be clean then remove the guts (discard) and legs from the body and rinse. Cut off the tips on the legs and discard, then chop the remaining leg pieces and body into bite-size chunks. Original recipe comes from ‘Harumi’s Japanese Home Cooking’ by Harumi Kurihara but I have twinkled with it
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- mixed salad green, to taste
- 700 g squid or 700 g baby octopus, fresh
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 pinch chili powder, to taste (shichimi togarashi)
- 1Wash, pat dry and cut salad leaves into bite-size pieces, then arrange the salad leaves into serving dish. Set aside.
- 2For the squid/octopus cut the body and legs into 1.5 cm thick then season with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and fry until you can smell its aroma.
- 4Add the squid/octopus into the pan with the garlic and cook until done. Squid/octopus' colour will change and it will no longer be transparent, Please NOTE do not overcook as it will becomes tough.
- 5Remove from heat and place on top of the prepared salad leaves in serving dish.
- 6Return frying pan to the heat, add the soy sauce, ginger, sugar and mix well with any remaining cooking juices from the squid/octopus, making sure that all the sugar dissolves.
- 7Pour dressing on top of squid/octopus then sprinkle some chilli powder or shichimi togarashi.
- 8If there is a lot of dressing you could serve it separately and dinners could help themselves if they wish for more dressing.
Browse Our Top Squid Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Squid Salad or Octopus Salad - Japanese Style
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.0
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 408.4 mg
- Sodium 503.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 28.2 g