1/1 Photo of Steamed Crab With Ginger
This recipe originally came from taste.com.au but I modified the cooking of it to suit our circumstances. When making I did not have coriander and to be honest wouldn't bother about using it. The original recipe called for 4 crabs but I used 6 which 3 of us devoured without sides.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 crabs (blue swimmers raw, cleaned and quartered)
- 2 lemongrass (stems pale section only, thinly sliced)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 8 cm ginger (piece fresh, peeled and cut into matchsticks)
- 2 spring onions (scallions, ends trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons coriander (leaves, to garnish)
- 1To segment the crabs, lift the flap under the body with your thumb and pull off the top part of the shell with one hand while holding the body firmly with the other and discard the top shell.
- 2Remove and discard the spongy white gills on either side of the body and rinse out the brown/yellow much and then use a sharp knife to cut each body in half and then that half in half again and crack the claws with a nutcracker.
- 3Put a rack into a electric fry pan (skillet - ours are square) and put water into bottom of the frypan (in the original recipe they used a bamboo steamer in a wok and used a heat proof dish in the steamer), bring the water to the boil.
- 4Meanwhile, place lemon grass on a heatproof plate and place crab on the lemon grass (try to do one layer) and sprinkle with sugar and drizzle with soy sauce and half of the sliced ginger.
- 5Place the plate in the steamer and cook covered for 3 minutes or until crab is just cooked through (the meat will be white rather than transparent when cooked - we found the crabs in Cowell cooked quicker than we were used to in Perth).
- 6Sprinkle with spring onions and remaining ginger and cook a further minute or 2 until spring onion wilts and then remove from heat (to be honest I put all the ginger and spring onions together in the previous step and missed this one cooking the crab for 5 minutes which actually overcooked it).
- 7We just put the plate (or in our case it was 2 plates) in the centre of the table with finger bowls and napkins and everyone helps themselves or put into individual serving bowls and garnish with coriander leaves.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steamed Crab With Ginger
Serving Size: 1 (49 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 36.7
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 24.5 mg
- Sodium 596.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: