1/1 Photo of Sticky Date Cupcakes With Caramel Icing
Taken from the Masterchef Junior Cookbook. I plan to try these with gluten-free flour - the recipe is otherwise gf suitable
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups pitted dates, halved (175 grams)
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened and chopped
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, measured firmly packed (165 grams)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour (225 grams)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C Line 18 holes of muffin pans (1/3 cup measure) with paper cases. This recipe uses 'regular' muffin pan size not the Texan/large style.
- 2Combine the dates and 1 1/4 cups boiling water in a small saucepan, Bring to the boil over low-medium heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- 3Remove from the heat and mash lightly with a potato masher. Stir in the bicarb/baking soda and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in the butter and brown sugar into the warm date mixture until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
- 5Stir in the eggs until combined.
- 6SIft in the flour and ginger, then fold in with a metal spoon until combined.
- 7Divide the mixture into the paper cases and smooth the mixture over with the back of a spoon.
- 8Bake 15 minutes or until the tops are firm when touched.
- 9Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- 10To make the icing- combine the butter, brown sugar and the cream in a small saucepan over a low heat, stir until the sugar dissolves.
- 11Bring the mixture to just below boiling point, then reduce the heat to low-medium and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring until thickened.
- 12Remove from the heat and gradually beat in the ising sugar until smooth.
- 13Spread the icing onto cakes and decorate by sprinkling with the optional sugar.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sticky Date Cupcakes With Caramel Icing
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.8
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 43.4 mg
- Sodium 217.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 26.2 g
- Protein 2.1 g