Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This recipe came from 'Joan Bishop's New Zealand Crockpot and Slow Cooker Cookbook'. This whole roast chicken is very quick to prepare and comes out tender and juicy. The author suggests if you don't have time to make the stuffing, to place an apple in the cavity. Serve with mashed potato and green vegetables. The author suggests cooking in a crockpot on low for 7-9 hours or on high for 4 hours, or if using a slow cooker, cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3 1/2-4 hours. I have a slow cooker so that is the time I've put on the recipe.
- Place all the stuffing ingredients, excluding paprika, in a bowl and lightly mix together. If the mixture is too crumbly, a little water or lemon juice may be added. Avoid making the stuffing too moist.
- Stuff the chicken cavity lightly with this mixture and secure the openings with toothpicks.
- Place the chicken in the cooker, breast down.
- Put the paprika in a small fine sieve and sprinkle it gently and evenly over the chicken.
- Cover with the lid and cook following the times and setting above in the description.