Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is a unique fruit & vegetable cake. It is rather dense and moist - it doesn't rise much at all during baking. It will last a week when stored, covered, in the fridge. Fruit medley is a mixture of chopped dried fruits (usually sultanas, apricot, apples, peach and pear) but you can substitute your favourites. Sourced from Aust. Women's Weekly - Australian measurements used. Needs overnight soaking (NOT included in time to make).
- In a saucepan combine the dried fruit and the two juices. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and cool overnight.
- Next day: Grease a 20cm ring pan, paying particular attention to the centre area. Pre-heat oven to 180 deg Celsius.
- Sift together all dry ingredients (flour, milk powder, cocoa & mixed spice).
- Combine fruit mix, apple, pumpkin & carrot in a large bowl then stir in the egg whites.
- Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 1.25 hours checking the cake after about 1 hour. (The cake may require a cover of some aluminium foil during the last stages, to stop the top from getting too brown.) Remove cake from oven, remove foil if used, and cool for 5 minutes. Carefully turn on to wire rack to cool.