1/1 Photo of Sunshine Fruit Cake
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is a unique fruit & vegetable cake. It is rather dense and moist - it doesn't rise much at all during baking. It will last a week when stored, covered, in the fridge. Fruit medley is a mixture of chopped dried fruits (usually sultanas, apricot, apples, peach and pear) but you can substitute your favourites. Sourced from Aust. Women's Weekly - Australian measurements used. Needs overnight soaking (NOT included in time to make).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a saucepan combine the dried fruit and the two juices. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and cool overnight.
- 2Next day: Grease a 20cm ring pan, paying particular attention to the centre area. Pre-heat oven to 180 deg Celsius.
- 3Sift together all dry ingredients (flour, milk powder, cocoa & mixed spice).
- 4Combine fruit mix, apple, pumpkin & carrot in a large bowl then stir in the egg whites.
- 5Stir in the dry ingredients.
- 6Spread the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 1.25 hours checking the cake after about 1 hour. (The cake may require a cover of some aluminium foil during the last stages, to stop the top from getting too brown.) Remove cake from oven, remove foil if used, and cool for 5 minutes. Carefully turn on to wire rack to cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunshine Fruit Cake
Serving Size: 1 (49 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.5
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 14.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
wholemeal self-rising flour