1/9 Photos of Sweet and Sour Chicken
Peter J's Note:
I fancied some sweet & sour chicken with a good quantity of nice thick sauce but couldn't seem to find a recipe so came up with this. I used Bill Hilbrich's Sweet Sour Sauce Secrets as a starting point for the sauce. It makes a generous size dish for two with lots of sauce for the rice / couscous or you could use say 500g of chicken and divide it four ways.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Sauce part 1
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup pineapple, pieces
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, finely diced
Sauce part 2
- 1In a small saucepan saute the onion in olive oil over a low-medium heat until soft but not brown.
- 2Drain any excess, mix with the pineapple pieces and bell peppers and set aside.
- 3Rinse the saucepan, add the "sauce part 2" ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- 4Bring to a gentle boil stirring constantly until sauce starts to thicken slightly, remove from heat and stir through the "sauce part 1" ingredients. I did this in advance and refrigerated a while.
- 5Season chicken with salt and/or pepper as desired.
- 6Cook chicken pieces in oil over medium - high heat for around 7-10 minutes until cooked through.
- 7Meanwhile gently warm back up the sauce and serve over the top along with rice or couscous.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.5
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 96.0 mg
- Sodium 442.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 43.4 g
- Protein 32.9 g