Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Published for safekeeping, from CSPN Nutrition Action Newsletter, June 2011. To heighten the taste, brown the broccoli and peppers well to create a rich, caramelized taste. If you prefer, you can use chicken or shrimp instead of tofu. Serve with brown rice or another whole grain.
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu, water-packed, drained
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for broccoli
- 1⁄2 lb broccoli floret
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for red pepper
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced (I use red bell pepper)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for tofu
- 4 scallions, sliced, for garnish
- Cut the tofu across the width into 6 slabs. Cut each slab in half to make 12 squares. Blot the tofu to remove some of the moisture and set aside.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, honey, garlic, and ginger in a small bowl and set aside.
- Saute the broccoli in 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat until bright green and starting to brown in places, about 5 minutes. Remove broccoli from the pan.
- Saute the red pepper in 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat until it starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Remove the red pepper from the pan.
- Saute the tofu in the remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat until browned, 2 minutes per side.
- Add the vinegar mixture to the tofu and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Return the broccoli and peppers to the pan and gently toss to coat with the sauce.
- Garnish with the scallions and serve with brown rice or another whole grain.
I enjoyed this, I chose to omit the tofu and make it simply with the veggies, at the last minute I did add some cashews. I did slightly steam the broccoli because DH really doesnt like crispy veg, in the end they were still abit crunchy for him but personally I enjoyed it. I served this on chinese noodles, soaked and lightly stir-fried. Thanks, Kate, very nice, made for ZWT 8
This is great!Made as directed except I cooked the tofu longer than suggested so it would be nice and crispy. Thanks for sharing!