1/2 Photos of Tasmanian Pepper Poached Salmon With Orange
1 hr 10 mins
French Tart's Note:
Tasmanian pepper berries are dark purple, with a lovely sweetness followed by a pungent kick. I have thought about using them to flavour salmon, Tasmania has such GOOD salmon, by adding whole pepper berries to the olive oil that is used to poach the fish. To make the dish spicier, you could sprinkle the fillets with ground pepper berries, but be warned — it tends to turn food slightly purple! Tasmania is also known for Pinot Noir as well as pepper & salmon, which is convenient, since this dish goes so well with that grape.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Finely grate 1/2 teaspoon of zest from the lemon; wrap the grated zest in plastic. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the remaining zest from the lemon in wide strips. Cut the strips into thin julienne. Squeeze 1 tablespoon of juice from the lemon.
- 2In a medium skillet, combine the olive oil with the pepper berries and the lemon julienne and bring to a boil. Simmer the oil over low heat for 20 minutes. Pour the oil through a fine strainer set over a bowl, pressing on the solids.
- 3Return the oil to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Add the salmon fillets, season with salt and pepper and simmer over moderately low heat until cooked on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Using a metal spatula, carefully turn the fillets over and cook until just opaque throughout, about 5 minutes longer.
- 4Transfer the salmon to a warmed platter or plates.
- 5Ladle out all but 1/4 cup of the olive oil and set the skillet over moderately high heat. Add the lemon juice and orange juice and boil for 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- 6Add the grated lemon zest and gradually whisk in the butter. Season the sauce with salt, pour it over the salmon fillets and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tasmanian Pepper Poached Salmon With Orange
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 732.2
- Calories from Fat 590
- Total Fat 65.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 102.7 mg
- Sodium 115.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 34.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: