Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very tasty lamb shanks which are nice served on wasabi mashed potatoes.
Make and share this Tasty Lamb Shanks recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 liter beef stock
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon szechwan pepper, crushed
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Combine flour and 5 spice powder in bag.
- Toss shanks in the seasoned flour.
- Heat oil over stove to medium heat in oven proof casserole dish.
- Brown shanks in oil on all sides.
- Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic and chilli to the same oven proof casserole dish and cook until onion softens.
- Add stock, vinegar, sauces, spices and lamb, bring to boil.
- Cover and place in oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and strain sauce into saucepan.
- Combine cornflour with a little cold water.
- Stir into the sauce and bring to boil.
- Cook until thickened.
- Pour over shanks.
- This is nice served on wasabi mashed potatoes.
Made this today, with a few minor changes due to availability of ingredients, everyone loved it, will certainly make again, thanks a lot for posting.
Very, very tasty lamb shanks, indeed! If this recipe is any indication of the food you serve at home -- can I come and live at your house? We all loved this divine dish. So easy to make and so delicious to eat. Our only change was to use 4 teaspoons of cornflour (cornstarch) to thicken the sauce. True comfort food. Thanks.
I cook Lamb shanks often and have a ton of recipes both my own and others, this will definitely be going into my top recipes for ways to cook shanks. My hubby came out of his office, to ask "what is that wonderful smell." " What I'm hoping will be a wonderful dinner." Well it was wonderful, shanks came out juicy and tender, with so much flavour. The sauce was outstanding, all the ingredients go together so well and create such yummy flavours. I served mine with braised bok choy and wasabi mashed potato, as jan had said you served yours, great combination and one I will be making over and over. Thanks for sharing Jewelies