Very tasty lamb shanks which are nice served on wasabi mashed potatoes.
Make and share this Tasty Lamb Shanks recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 liter beef stock
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon szechwan pepper, crushed
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Combine flour and 5 spice powder in bag.
- Toss shanks in the seasoned flour.
- Heat oil over stove to medium heat in oven proof casserole dish.
- Brown shanks in oil on all sides.
- Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic and chilli to the same oven proof casserole dish and cook until onion softens.
- Add stock, vinegar, sauces, spices and lamb, bring to boil.
- Cover and place in oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and strain sauce into saucepan.
- Combine cornflour with a little cold water.
- Stir into the sauce and bring to boil.
- Cook until thickened.
- Pour over shanks.
- This is nice served on wasabi mashed potatoes.