Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Adapted from a recipe I found in the September-November 2008 issue of the Australian/Italian magazine 'italianicious: essence of Italy' magazine. I've not tried this recipe yet: I just discovered this magazine for the first time today. I've posted the recipe here for safe-keeping, so that I remember to try it. Sounds delicious! When making this, I'll be using my Vegetable Stock #135453.
- 8 fresh artichokes or 2 (400 g) cans artichoke hearts
- 1 lemon, juice of (if using fresh artichokes)
- 50 g butter, chopped, plus extra for greasing
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (245mm x 245mm)
- 100 g prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, plucked
- 40 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 100 ml vegetable broth or 100 ml stock
- fresh basil leaf (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- If using fresh artichokes: clean, then boil in water with lemon juice for about 5 minutes; remove and trim outer leaves; if the artichokes have a choke (or thistle) in the centre, remove it; and chop the artichokes. If using canned artichokes or canned artichoke hearts: remove from the can, drain and chop.
- Grease a 18cm pie dish or tin.
- Line the pie dish with the pastry sheet, making sure that the pastry sheet reaches up the sides of the pie dish and a little above the edge of the dish; if necessary, trim the pastry sheet.
- Cover the pastry with baking paper, fill it with rice and blind-bake the pastry case for 15 minutes; as soon as you remove the pie dish from the oven, remove the rice and baking paper and allow the pastry case to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the shallots, garlic, thyme leaves and parmesan.
- Place the prosciutto in the bottom of the pie dish and top them with the well-drained, chopped artichoke pieces or artichoke hearts; sprinkle the shallots, garlic, thyme and parmesan mixture over the artichokes.
- Pour the broth or stock over the vegetables and scatter the chopped butter pieces over the top of the tart.
- Bake the tart for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve warm with your choice of salad greens.
Newest Zaar Tag 09: OUTSTANDING Tart!! I didn't change a thing - I cannot describe how tasty this is!! WOW!