This is not quite the chicken doner from the restaurants but it's quite easy to make and satisfy my cravings. You must use fresh chicken and not use chicken that has been previously frozen. You will need to prepare the chicken overnight and freeze. I had trouble slicing my chicken with an electric knife so I would defrost it a little longer then 45 minutes. This recipe comes from www.turkishcookbook.com - For the Aussies ground chicken = minced chicken - Does not include overnight marinating time
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to seasoned chicken breast
- 175 g ground chicken
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1 small cucumber, discard the seeds with a teaspoon, grated and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed with salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- Place baking paper over chicken breast and using a meat tenderiser, hammer the chicken gentle to make it slightly thinner. Make sure you don't tear it, but it will not matter if you do. Repeat this with the other chicken breast. Seasoned the two chicken breast with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a bowl add the onion, oregano, olive oil, salt and pepper into the ground chicken. Knead and give it a round shape, then place in the middle of the two pieces of chicken breast.
- Cover in plastic wrap and leave in the freezer overnight.
- The next day remove them from the fridge 45 minutes before cutting. Use a knife, electric knife or meat cutter to shred/slice chicken.
- Spray small amount of olive oil spray in a warm non-stick pan and cook chicken on both sides until slightly brown (be careful not to over-fry).
- To make the yoghurt sauce, mix all the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Serve it like a burger using Turkish bread rolls or as a wrap with pita bread. With lettuce leaves, tomato slices, onion slices and top with a generous amount of yoghurt sauce.
I think this is an amazing recipe. I eat kosher, so of course, I chose to do without the yogurt sauce, but I did eat it with hummus, tahina, and amba, so the condiments were there. I also ate the leftovers outside of a pita with side of rice, and the meat itself is delicious. I mixed chopped onion, parsley, garlic, and spices to the ground chicken. I simply seasoned the chicken as directed, and grilled it in the pan. This is a recipe that I definitely see myself repeating. Thank you for sharing, and thanks Binnur for the original recipe (love that site).
TEN stars in my book! I have hankererd after this since leaving Cyrpus, and this recipe was SUPERB! If anyone else would like to make their own doner kebab at home - follow this recipe carefully and you will have prefect results. Do NOT skip the oregano, this is the key to this recipe - and also, do use the breasts and the chicken mince as listed too. Excellent - transported me right back to Kibris! Merci! FT:-)
Had this for dinner tonight Thought this was a nice change from a chicken burger. I used Pita bread. I especially liked the yoghurt sauce. 1. Easy to make 2. Very tasty 3. A keeper Took a little time in preparing but was worth the effort. Thank you for sharing