I love lamb shanks, but I was looking for something different. I adapted this recipe from http://www.australian-lamb.com. Green curry paste is too spicy for me unless I make my own. I like an adaptation of Thai Green Curry Paste Gone Greener! -- Thai green curry paste gone greener -- with the chilies reduced. Otherwise I use yellow curry paste. SERVING SUGGESTION: Great with steamed snap peas and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (1 lb) lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 white onion
- 1 cup white wine (I prefer red, original recipe calls for white) or 1 cup red wine (I prefer red, original recipe calls for white)
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 lime, juice and grated zest
- 2 tablespoons thai green curry paste (buy or make your own, I prefer yellow curry paste)
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, tender white end only, peeled, crushed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons diced fresh ginger
For CILANTRO RICE
- 1Trim lamb shanks of excess fat and sinew and place in large dish. Combine coconut milk, lime juice and zest, curry paste, and half of the lemongrass and ginger. Pour over shanks. Cover and marinate 2-3 hours, turning lamb occasionally. Drain the lamb well, pour marinade through a sieve and set aside.
- 2Heat oil in large casserole dish and sauté onion with remaining lemongrass and ginger. Add lamb and brown on all sides. Add the marinade and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until very tender and meat is starting to fall off the bone. (Add more wine or water if necessary.).
- 3When the lamb is nearly cooked, prepare the rice. Place cilantro in a food processor and add oil and vinegar. Process until smooth, adding more oil if necessary to make a sauce consistency. Set aside. Cook rice according to directions on the package and fluff with fork. Fold half of the cilantro dressing into the rice.
- 4Spoon rice onto plates and top with lamb shank. Spoon over strained pan juices and drizzle with remaining cilantro dressing.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai-Curried Lamb Shanks With Cilantro Rice
Serving Size: 1 (848 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1589.9
- Calories from Fat 838
- Total Fat 93.1 g
- Saturated Fat 44.0 g
- Cholesterol 408.0 mg
- Sodium 320.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 125.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green curry paste