Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this in a Kitchen and Bathroom magazine.
Make and share this Thai Mussel Cakes With Stir-Fried Bean Shoots recipe from Food.com.
- 1 kg mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 50 g plain flour
- 40 g cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar, shaved (or brown sugar)
- 60 ml water
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 1⁄2 cups bean sprouts, washed and drained
- 6 green onions, cut finely
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- soy sauce, for serving
- 2 long chilies, seeded and sliced finely
- Cook mussels, covered in a little water until opened, removing them as they do so and discarding any that don't. Remove meat and chop coarsely.
- Whisk the flours, egg, fish sauce, palm sugar and up to 60ml water to form a smooth batter. Add chopped mussels and mix well.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a large pan and drop tablespoons of the mussel mixture in without overcrowding.
- Cook until golden on both sides, then drain well on kitchen paper towels.
- While the cakes are cooking, heat a little oil in a wok and quickly stir-fry the bean shoots, green onions and garlic until crisp-tender.
- To serve, arrange cakes on a plate, sprinkle with a little soy, mound with bean shoots and then sprinkle with chilies.