Contemplating making a Pie Floater? Well here is the recipe for the pie. Posted in response to a request for Aussie recipes. Times are guesses.
- Brown mince.
- Add onion finely diced and brown.
- Drain off fat.
- Add stock cubes crumbled, 1-½ cups of water, salt and pepper and stir until boiling.
- Reduce heat and cover, simmering for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a cup combine flour and extra water and stir until smooth.
- Add flour mixture to meat and stir until combined.
- Return to heat, stir until it comes to a boil and is thickened.
- Add Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes then remove from heat and refrigerate.
- Once cool fill in bottom of piecrust.
- Put top on and pierce the centre with a knife.
- Combine egg yolk with a bit of water and brush over the top.
- Follow directions on frozen pie crusts or bake at 400 for 5 minutes (or until golden brown) then reduce heat to moderate (200) and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
These were exactly what we were looking for. We would buy homemade ones at a caterers near the cottage. She has since pasted & so has the recipe. Thank you for the recipe Missy Wombat. Will be making these for years to come.
Thank you for the recipe. Thou this is my first pie, all my colleagues think the pie was fabulous. My big boss, who is dieting, had 2 pies in a roll. While munching his 2nd pie, he told me he should not have even one according to his diet plan!!
Now I see why Australians are so fond of their meat pies! They are great! I just made them into handpies because I can. Made for MFO, November 2013.