Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Thursday Island is found at the Northern tip of Queensland where Australia meets Papua New Guinea.
Make and share this Thursday Island Nummus recipe from Food.com.
- Place the fish in a mixing bowl and pour about half a cup of vinegar over it.
- Gently knead the fish until it starts to"cook"; adding more vinegar if necessary.
- After a couple of minutes add half the lime of lemon juice and continue to kneadfor another minute.
- Add the salt and continue to knead until fish feels cooked (a minute or two should be enough).
- Add sugar, chilli, garlic, ginger, onion, and mix well.
- Add more juice and chilli if required.
- This dish can be eaten straight away but storing for several hours or overnight if you have the willpower (in the refrigerator) will enhance the flavours.
Great to taste and easy to make. Had this before when I lived in Darwin prepared by Thursday Island boys. They caught fish and put it straight in to the mix. This is a great recipe that everyone likes. Good for a party.
This is a wonderful recipe, but it needs a warning: 5T of ginger and 5 cloves of garlic is intense for people who aren't prepared for it. And what in the world is "nummus"? It must be one of the rarest words in the world. Googe says it's a kind of Roman coin, and then the third Google entry is... this recipe!