Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I like to have this when it's hot and I don't want a heavy meaty pasta. The tomato puree can easily be substituted with a can of crushed tomatoes, just note the cooking time will be a little bit longer.
- 400 g fresh fettuccine (or any type of long pasta will be fine)
- 100 g streaky bacon (I love bacon so I always use more)
- 2 large red chilies (optional) or 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 brown onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 275 ml tomato puree
- salt and black pepper
- chopped fresh Italian parsley (to garnish)
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water, following packet directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Trim the rind from the bacon and chop finely. Halve and de-seed the chillies if using, chop finely. Peel and chop the garlic and onion.
- Heat the oil over a medium heat. Fry the bacon gently until the fat begins to run. (at this stage I normally drain some of the fat away, but it's a personal preference).
- Add the onion and garlic and cook til slightly softened. Add the tomato and the chillies or chili powder. Simmer until slightly reduced. Season to taste.
- Return the pasta to the pan, stirring through until thoroughly mixed and hot.
- Garnish with the parsley and serve.
- Enjoy :).
This kids loved this and gave it a 5 star, they liked all the tomato. DH and I gave it a 4 star. We had it with garlic bread. Made for PAC Spring 2008